Original name in Sanskrit: Anahata
Physical association: Heart, lungs, circulatory system, arms, hands
Psychological function: Love
The heart chakra – the wellspring of love, warmth, compassion, and joy is located in the center of the chest at the heart level. Located at the center of the chakra system, the Anahata or heart chakra is often seen as the point of integration of personal and altruistic aspirations through love and relating. When this energy center is going on overdrive, it can blur the boundaries between oneself and others to the point of losing your sense of identity and misusing the power of love.
OVER ACTIVE HEART CHAKRA
- Loving indiscriminately
- Lack of proper boundaries in friendships and intimate relationships
- Tolerating too much from others to the point of neglecting emotional self-care
- Acceptance of others without discernment
- Losing your sense of identity
- Giving to others or to a cause without restraints
- Saying yes to everything and everyone, even when it does not benefit you
- Codependency, being overly demanding of others
UNDERACTIVE HEART CHAKRA
- Being withdrawn and selfish
- Avoiding socializing, social interactions
- Being overly critical of others and oneself
- Lacking empathy
- Feeling isolated
HEAL YOUR HEART CHAJRA
- Practice asanas that open your heart. Asanas are yoga postures that help you balance the mind, body and spirit. Heart chakra healing- yoga postures include eagle, camel, wheel, and any backbends. Pay attention to your posture. Most of us are walking around like hunchbacks, unconsciously closing our hearts. Begin to become aware of your posture while sitting, standing, and walking. Straighten the spine, engage the core, open the front of your chest, and drop your shoulders.
- Use the bija mantra, ‘YAM,’ associated with the heart chakra. Bija mantras are repeated tones that you say during mindfulness meditations, and are commonly used before or after a yoga practice. In yogic philosophy, YAM is the sound vibration that works with the opening the heart chakra. Repeat it to yourself any time you feel you are closing down.
- Meditate on your heart center. Imagine each inhale and exhale as a green color and imagine the color spreading throughout your entire body as you breathe. Imagine this green breath removing negativity from your heart as you exhale. Herbs & Food nourishment: Lemon balm, all green foods & vegetables: kale, broccoli, spinach, chard, dandelion greens, parsley, celery, cucumber, zucchini, matcha, green tea, avocado, lime, mint, peas, kiwi, peas, spirulina, green apples.